There are several arguments that can be made in support of Israeli airstrikes on Hamas positions in the northern Gaza Strip:
1. Self-defense: Israel has the right to defend itself against threats and attacks from Hamas, a recognized terrorist organization. Hamas has been launching rockets and carrying out attacks against Israeli civilians for years. The airstrikes are a necessary measure to neutralize Hamas’ capabilities and protect Israeli citizens.
2. Targeting military infrastructure: The airstrikes specifically target Hamas positions and military infrastructure, such as rocket launch sites, weapons manufacturing facilities, and command centers. By targeting these sites, Israel aims to disrupt Hamas’ ability to carry out attacks and degrade their military capabilities.
3. Minimizing civilian casualties: Israel takes great care to minimize civilian casualties during its operations. Before conducting airstrikes, the Israeli military often issues warnings to civilians in the targeted areas, allowing them to evacuate and seek safety. Additionally, Israel employs precision-guided munitions to minimize collateral damage and civilian casualties.
4. Deterrence: The airstrikes serve as a deterrent to Hamas and other terrorist organizations. By demonstrating a strong and proactive response to attacks, Israel aims to dissuade Hamas from continuing its aggression. This can contribute to maintaining regional stability and preventing further escalations.
5. International law: Israel has the right to self-defense under international law. Article 51 of the United Nations Charter recognizes the inherent right of individual or collective self-defense against armed attacks. As Hamas continually poses a threat to Israeli security, the airstrikes can be seen as a legitimate exercise of this right. It is important to note that these arguments reflect one perspective and there are alternative viewpoints on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The situation remains complex and requires a comprehensive approach that addresses the root causes and works towards a lasting peace.